PDA

View Full Version : Question Moving back out west.

papag
08-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Moving in the next few weeks to the chadron area. I lived there for 15 years and did a lot of fishing at box butte, walgren, whitney, smith, and the fort rob ponds. was just curious if anyone had a fishing report for any of these places. the summer drawdown can be dramatic at some of these lakes.

whitetips
08-22-2013, 02:45 PM
I hear some reports from out in those parts, but not nearly enough!

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to go out there and keep us better informed!

Good luck!

Daryl B.

Harold
08-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Mission... Possible!

Good luck, papag!

Harold F.

papag
08-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Mission accepted. Don't know how much I will get in this fall but will definitely keep people informed. I miss catching northerns the most. I know you can find them here and there in the central and eastern part of the state but they are the bomb up there if you know how to get them. They pull hard and are just downright violent. A very large northern scared my daughter out of the boat up there. Was drifting on an undisclosed sandhills lake for perch. She was pulling one up when the water exploded and a northern inhaled her perch and bit through her line. She freaked and made me take her to shore. Didn't go back out rest of the trip. Looking forward to the perch as well.

Troutsker
08-22-2013, 04:29 PM
There are no fish out here. Your going to have to sell all of your gear and take up golf or something like that.

Most of the fishing I do is in the streams for trout. Many great places. Game and Parks has a great Nebraska small stream pamphlet that lists all the trout supporting streams in the area. I do not think they have it online, but I picked up a copy at the courthouse in Hyannis. I do occassionally go to Carter P Johnson at the Fort. I have had good luck this year in a belly boat. Lots of bass, bluegill and catfish.

I hear great things about Box Butte Res, but I have not personally fished there. I have also heard that Smith is better than Walgren, but again, I have not fished there.

whitetips
08-22-2013, 05:05 PM
There are no fish out here. Your going to have to sell all of your gear and take up golf or something like that.

Most of the fishing I do is in the streams for trout. Many great places. Game and Parks has a great Nebraska small stream pamphlet that lists all the trout supporting streams in the area. I do not think they have it online, but I picked up a copy at the courthouse in Hyannis. I do occassionally go to Carter P Johnson at the Fort. I have had good luck this year in a belly boat. Lots of bass, bluegill and catfish.

I hear great things about Box Butte Res, but I have not personally fished there. I have also heard that Smith is better than Walgren, but again, I have not fished there.

Open offer to anyone reading this:

If you do not have a copy of Trout Fishing in Nebraska's Streams, no, it is NOT on-line. But, I have cases of them. E-mail or PM me with a U.S. Postal mailing address and I will put a couple copies in the mail for you!

Daryl B.

Done
08-22-2013, 05:19 PM
the trout stream guide is definitely worth getting. I second the trout fishing out there. There are some nice brook, brown and now cutthroat trout to be caught. Not to mention the beautiful surroundings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)