PDA

View Full Version : Question Yellow Perch

Uplandhuntr
01-16-2011, 01:33 AM
Again, sorry if this has been an ongoing discussion, but being new to the area I have to ask....

If yellow perch are a 'go to' species for some lakes in western NE as well as SD, ND, and IA....where folks travel a lot of miles for a hot perch bite in lakes smaller, shallower, and harder to get to than are here in eastern NE, why are there no perch to be found in the eastern part of the state?

Great table fare, prolific, fun for kids to catch....

Here's the stocking chart for 2010.....

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/fishing/guides/fishguide/FGfindstock.asp

Pretty limited to a couple of waters.....

Why drive to the Dakota's for Perch? It seems there is plenty of barren water in eastern NE....:ayes:

Thanks for looking....

Shorty
01-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Two reasons: Yellow perch don't do well when water temps get above 81 degrees, our summer water temps are pushing the limit on what they can tolerate. Nebraksa is on the southern edge of their range where they can thrive. The other reason is their fusiform shape make them easy to eat by LMB, a 17-18" LMB can easily eat a 10-11" yellow perch and yellow perch typically don't get very big. There are small numbers of yellow perch in a few of the Omaha lakes but not enough to actualy make it worth targeting them.

FishinForEyes
01-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Did you bother to look at the year those yellow perch were stocked? The answer is 1928. What struck me funny about your link was Lincoln Creek in Seward County was stocked with 900 yellow perch. I had to look at that record so much closer because there is no way a yellow perch would survive today in Lincoln Creek.

Uplandhuntr
01-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Did you bother to look at the year those yellow perch were stocked? The answer is 1928. What struck me funny about your link was Lincoln Creek in Seward County was stocked with 900 yellow perch. I had to look at that record so much closer because there is no way a yellow perch would survive today in Lincoln Creek.

Basically I screwed up the link by pulling up all stocking records (yes, back to 1928) and that is page 1 of 4000+. That's what I get when I can't sleep.:)

Uplandhuntr
01-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Two reasons: Yellow perch don't do well when water temps get above 81 degrees, our summer water temps are pushing the limit on what they can tolerate. Nebraksa is on the southern edge of their range where they can thrive. The other reason is their fusiform shape make them easy to eat by LMB, a 17-18" LMB can easily eat a 10-11" yellow perch and yellow perch typically don't get very big. There are small numbers of yellow perch in a few of the Omaha lakes but not enough to actualy make it worth targeting them.

Good information. So the eastern waters get warmer than the shallow sandhill lakes where perch thrive, along with LMB?

Shorty
01-16-2011, 11:30 AM
IMO a lot it has to do with the amount of aquatic vegetation present in a lake, the shade from the aquatic vegetation helps keep the water temps down and also provides cover to hide from predators like LMB. Yellow perch would likely do alright with that type of habitat here in eastern Ne but we just don't have it here.

Haste
01-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Hopefully DB will chime in on this question. I've heard the question before, but have never had a complete explanation given.

As for me, I have had only two occasion when I caught yellow perch in Nebraska. One in the tail race from Lake Helen in Gothenburg, NE. There used to be powerhouse ruins until a few years ago where you could catch everything from carp to walleye and of course, perch.

The second, which is most surprising to me, was caught in Mormon Island a few summers ago. It was very small, but it was a yellow perch.

Shorty
01-16-2011, 01:25 PM
"Habitat is where it's at". :ayes:

I'm sure yellow perch would be much more prevalent in eastern NE if we had the right type of habitat.

bradh
01-16-2011, 01:47 PM
I have not checked the stocking reports but I have caught yellow perch or had my boat partner catch one at LE Ray, Grove, Goose and Maskenthine. As far as I know these are all in Eastern NE. Hope that helps.

Ty S
01-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Yes but they aren't abundant at all. Neighbor kid caught a 13"er out of Skyview. Explain that

Chuck_Tritz
01-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Yes but they aren't abundant at all. Neighbor kid caught a 13"er out of Skyview. Explain that

rogue perch... probably dropped by a tornado

Birddog466
01-16-2011, 03:32 PM
rogue perch... probably dropped by a tornado

I was going with frozen glacier movement

Done
01-16-2011, 03:34 PM
They are in some of the Fremont Lakes too.

bradh
01-16-2011, 04:45 PM
The lakes I listed have very catchable populations, especially if your definition of "Eastern Nebraska" does not mean 15 minutes from Lincoln or Omaha.

Alex T.
01-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Simple answer........The waters in most eastern Nebraska waterbodies suck for perch, walleye, northerns,etc.

Alex

Omaha
01-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Simple answer........The waters in most eastern Nebraska waterbodies suck for perch, walleye, northerns,etc.

Alex

This.

I asked this question when I caught one out of Wehrspann last summer. Thought there was a chance. Nope.

Uplandhuntr
01-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Hopefully DB will chime in on this question. I've heard the question before, but have never had a complete explanation given.

I hope so too.

"Habitat is where it's at". :ayes:

I'm sure yellow perch would be much more prevalent in eastern NE if we had the right type of habitat.

I agree, to a point. I have seen artificial habitat used successfully in SD to foster healthy perch populations, specifically. Christmas tree reefs were used for spawning habitat with good success. When they were observed in the spring, there were perch eggs draped all over them.

I also realize that each state is different, and SD uses 'rearing ponds' (AKA wetlands) to grow several species for stocking, and I don't see that as a viable option here.

I think sometimes that states get set up with specific species, and change is hard, both from an agency standpoint and from a sportsperson standpoint. In some states, yellow perch have no limit and are considered trash fish, in the Dakotas hundreds of people will diverge on a lake when there is a hot perch bite.

Just curious is all. Thanks to all that have responded.

holdemplyer
01-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Found it,

We have played with some yellow perch in southeast Nebraska, no not at Zorinsky or Wehrspann, but they have been intentionally stocked at Branched Oak and Burchard in the past. There are a few that persist in the clean water and aquatic vegetation at Burchard, but none are left at Branched Oak. A perch or two shows up in Zorinsky or Wehrspann on occasion, our fisheries biologists have even sampled a few of them. How they got there is anyone's idea? Most likely a bucket biologist, but there are other possibilities.

I will keep crawling up on this soap-box, if you get tired of it, too bad . . . .

Yellow perch are cool-water fish and there ain't much for cool-water yellow perch habitat in southeast Nebraska. Plain and simple--there are not hardly any waters in southeast Nebraska that are cool enough to support yellow perch. I know, yellow perch are excellent table fair and everyone wants more of them, but "habitat is where it's at". If the habitat will not support the fish, no amount of stocking can make up for that.

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
http://barbsandbacklashes.wordpress.com/

Uplandhuntr
01-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks, Holdem!!

Guess that takes care of the southeast part of the equation. Too warm.....how do those sandhill Refuge perch do it?

I am curious exactly what part of the habitat equation is missing? Most of the ponds I've been to so far get so much vegitation they get hard to fish from shore...

Hooligan
01-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks, Holdem!!

Guess that takes care of the southeast part of the equation. Too warm.....how do those sandhill Refuge perch do it?

I am curious exactly what part of the habitat equation is missing? Most of the ponds I've been to so far get so much vegitation they get hard to fish from shore...
Water quality, along with vegetation that reduces light infiltration equals lower temps and (usually) higher dissolved O2 than we have in SE NE. A lot of the waters that we have here are relatively turbid reservoirs meant as flood control. Most of the Sandhill lakes are natural lakes with a great variety in bottom substrate, including sand, rock, gravel, and other material. That's just a portion of the differences. There are a lot of other factors, too, which I'm sure some will touch on.

snowgoose100
01-17-2011, 07:26 PM
As off 2 years ago we caught 1 BIG perch (13 incher or so)and some small ones. There are 2 ponds to the west of their tha drain into it that have small perch in it.One of them they drained completely about 5 yrs ago. There is also one that doesnt drain into it that has a few 12 inchers in it.I have had days in the recent past that we caught 30 -50 baby perch a day(less than 4 inches) I am hoping that maybe some of the trees in the lake gave some of them the protection they needed to grow up.

big12hurt
01-17-2011, 10:54 PM
I got about 15 of these sized yellows at the fremont sra today but I have yet to find momma
http://www.nefga.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23141&d=1295322740 (http://www.nefga.org/forum/album.php?albumid=1588&attachmentid=22918)

LincolnLunger
01-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Too bad there weren't more Yello Perch in Branched Oak.

Hillbilly
01-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Stagecoach used to be loaded with yellow perch.40 years ago the Salt Valley lakes had perch. They were a great fish to learn how to ice fish with. Seemed like they were always biting and were great to eat.

snowgoose100
01-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks Hillbilly for rubbing it in. :razz:

Hillbilly
01-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Hard to turn back time. The lakes have changed some and it sucks being old. Lots of days missing class at old LNE to catch the perch bite. Those were fun times. We are still catching plenty of fish, just no perch.

BadBass
01-18-2011, 01:43 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs786.ash1/167667_484848946005_559371005_6427912_1394167_n.jp g

Head to Boji....

Omaha
01-18-2011, 02:26 PM
<------drooled all over his keyboard.

walleyeking
01-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Caught 8 yellow perch Sunday and 7 monday in southeast ne. They weren't huge(6-8 inches) but were yellow perch.

whitetips
01-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Indulge my sarcasm for a little bit in order to drive the point home . . .

I would like to catch black marlin in eastern Nebraska, why don't we have more of them?

How many yellow perch do they have in Kansas?

:xIDunno:

Yellow perch are a cool-water species. Research has even shown that they need a certain amount, length of time, of cold water during the winter for proper egg and milt maturation. Simply put Nebraska is on the edge of yellow perch range. Yellow perch need cool water, clean water and at least some flooded or aquatic vegetation. We have waters in Nebraska that are much like the waters in the Dakotas and are excellent perch habitats. If you want some ideas of which waters those might be, take a close look at the 2011 Fishing Forecast, http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/fishing/pdfs/FishForecast.pdf.:SM_wink:

However, as you head into southern and eastern Nebraska the habitats are less favorable for yellow perch. Yes, we have some pits that are cool enough and have enough vegetation to support yellow perch, but it seems that the perch in all of those waters tend to be small (stay tuned, we may have some answers about perch in pits in the coming years; there is some research that might be done on that very question). Some of the reservoirs in eastern Nebraska, if they have clean water and aquatic vegetation can support some perch. In most cases those reservoirs provided some perch habitat when the reservoirs were relatively new. With siltation, shoreline erosion and less aquatic vegetation as those reservoirs age there is less perch habitat. Even under the best of conditions, southeastern Nebraska waters are still marginal yellow perch habitats and those that do have perch only have a remnant population.

Some of our large irrigation reservoirs can also support some yellow perch, but fluctuating water levels wreak havoc with yellow perch in those waters. Fortunately, recovering and high water levels in some of those irrigation reservoirs are going to result in more perch in some of those waters in the next few years.

"Shorty" summed it up, "Habitat is where it's at".:aayeahthat:

Daryl Bauer
daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

http://www.nefga.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12383&d=1263230832

Uplandhuntr
01-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Indulge my sarcasm for a little bit in order to drive the point home . . .

I would like to catch black marlin in eastern Nebraska, why don't we have more of them?

How many yellow perch do they have in Kansas?

:xIDunno:

Yellow perch are a cool-water species. Research has even shown that they need a certain amount, length of time, of cold water during the winter for proper egg and milt maturation. Simply put Nebraska is on the edge of yellow perch range. Yellow perch need cool water, clean water and at least some flooded or aquatic vegetation. We have waters in Nebraska that are much like the waters in the Dakotas and are excellent perch habitats. If you want some ideas of which waters those might be, take a close look at the 2011 Fishing Forecast, http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/fishing/pdfs/FishForecast.pdf.:SM_wink:

However, as you head into southern and eastern Nebraska the habitats are less favorable for yellow perch. Yes, we have some pits that are cool enough and have enough vegetation to support yellow perch, but it seems that the perch in all of those waters tend to be small (stay tuned, we may have some answers about perch in pits in the coming years; there is some research that might be done on that very question). Some of the reservoirs in eastern Nebraska, if they have clean water and aquatic vegetation can support some perch. In most cases those reservoirs provided some perch habitat when the reservoirs were relatively new. With siltation, shoreline erosion and less aquatic vegetation as those reservoirs age there is less perch habitat. Even under the best of conditions, southeastern Nebraska waters are still marginal yellow perch habitats and those that do have perch only have a remnant population.

Some of our large irrigation reservoirs can also support some yellow perch, but fluctuating water levels wreak havoc with yellow perch in those waters. Fortunately, recovering and high water levels in some of those irrigation reservoirs are going to result in more perch in some of those waters in the next few years.

"Shorty" summed it up, "Habitat is where it's at".:aayeahthat:

Daryl Bauer
daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

http://www.nefga.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12383&d=1263230832

Got the point. SE Nebraska is not yellow perch country for several reasons.

Kansas has huge crappies, so they don't need yellow perch. Don't marlin need salt water?? Maybe they'll work in the saline waters around Lincoln?? ;)

Anyway, I did catch a small perch in Crystal Cove when the 4 year old and I were there catching some stockers and it just had me thinking about perch. I just need to shift my thinking from 'natural lake' to 'irrigation or flood control reservoir', I guess.

Thanks for taking the time to respond (I suspect you have a Word document that you can now copy and paste in response to the 'yellow perch' question...) :zclapping:

Also for the link to the 'Fishing Forecast' for more info....:icefishing:

BTW, nice perch!! I think I recognize the background in your picture...:wRazzing:

Shorty
01-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Yes, we have some pits that are cool enough and have enough vegetation to support yellow perch, but it seems that the perch in all of those waters tend to be small (stay tuned, we may have some answers about perch in pits in the coming years; there is some research that might be done on that very question).

I suspect that LMB are the culprits that keep yellow perch size low in sandpits. The senario is that a few YP get large enough to survive and reproduce every year, but most the young of the year yellow perch don't live long enough to become adults and reproduce due to heavy LMB predation as they grow. A few survive but not many resulting in year classes of YP that are small in size but not of much interest to anglers. Pond Boss had an article on YP and LMB several years ago and that was my recollection. Check with Dr. Willis, he might might already have some research available on this issue from his area.

bradh
01-18-2011, 07:28 PM
I guess I define "Eastern Nebraska" as anything east of 281, and there are plenty of perch east of 281. I was being sarcastic about my "15 minutes from Omaha/Lincoln" statement but it looks like it's true!

Shorty
01-18-2011, 08:28 PM
I guess I define "Eastern Nebraska" as anything east of 281, and there are plenty of perch east of 281. I was being sarcastic about my "15 minutes from Omaha/Lincoln" statement but it looks like it's true!

LOL - I can't think of anything within an hour and halfs drive of Lincoln that has "plenty of perch" in it let alone 15 minutes. :lol:

bradh
01-19-2011, 12:52 AM
LOL - I can't think of anything within an hour and halfs drive of Lincoln that has "plenty of perch" in it let alone 15 minutes. :lol:

You could drive 3 hours and still be in what would be "Eastern Nebraska" in a geographical sense. It's a big state :flag:.

Uplandhuntr
01-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Perhaps we could bring things back to the original post....lets see...ah, yes....yellow perch in eastern Nebraska.

For those of you set on geographics, I am not sure where the line is drawn in Nebraska for 'eastern Nebraska', perhaps I should have just said perch in NE.

But with recent renovations (Thank you NGPC) and high water flooding of vegetation for spawning and brood habitat, I thought I would throw it out there for discussion.

Doesn't matter to me if it is within 10 miles of my house or not, just know that I wished I had some of NE's spring fed ponds compared to those that can be winter and summer killed in SD that make a guy cry when you see 'em die off.

Zach T.
01-19-2011, 02:58 AM
As for me, I have had only two occasion when I caught yellow perch in Nebraska. One in the tail race from Lake Helen in Gothenburg, NE. There used to be powerhouse ruins until a few years ago where you could catch everything from carp to walleye and of course, perch.

Are the ruins gone? My grandparents live up by the lake in Gothenburg and I used to always spend time down there in the summers when I was younger. One of my favorite spots to fish was the drainage out of Lake Helen. The funny thing is, the only muskie I've ever hooked into was off the concrete bridge of the inflow canal into Lake Helen. I didn't get it in but got a great look at when it jumped and spit my hook directly back at me. It wasn't huge by any means, but it would have crossed that species off my caught list. Never thought I'd see a muskie in there.

Chuck_Tritz
01-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Caught my first Wherspahn yellow perch today!!! Epb has the pic on his phone, I'll get it up when I can.

epb35085
01-19-2011, 10:35 AM
"Look at me I'm a stump!"http://www.nefga.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23142&d=1295451126"Look at me I'm a stump!"

Uplandhuntr
01-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Interestingly, this post has 1400+ views....blows any recent post out of the water, except the stickies.

Suppose there is any interest among anglers in perch??:D

Chuck_Tritz
01-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Interestingly, this post has 1400+ views....blows any recent post out of the water, except the stickies.

"Woman attacks ice fishermen with fish" is coming up fast with over 1200 views in less than 24 hours...

Hooligan
01-19-2011, 11:12 PM

Nah, more interested in the carnage from an oft frequented topic with similar answers than actually catching them.

Uplandhuntr
01-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Nah, more interested in the carnage from an oft frequented topic with similar answers than actually catching them.

Like a bad accident, huh? Glad I could offer some distraction from the seriousness of women brandishing fish....:)

tenwindows
01-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Looks like woman attacks ice fisherman is closing fast on yellow perch, no thanks to me. I tried to look away.

Harold
01-20-2011, 03:35 PM

Sometimes it takes 40 posts (like a whack in the back of the head would accomplish) before some can accept what they don't wanna hear... :badgrin:

Of course, since I'm OLD, it's been YEARS since my personal "whack", and I just head to the Sandhills for my "perch fettish".

In fact, am heading up there in the AM to meet with other members of the Nefga Tribe. Some from "back east" where the perch and pike opportunities are limited.

Something about habitat... if I read correctly.

Harold F.
(There you go, I contributed to extend this to THREE PAGES of POSTS! At least for those with a 20 posts per page set-up!)

cougarw
01-21-2011, 12:04 AM
. Some from "back east" where the perch and pike opportunities are limited.

Harold F.
!)

I seem to remember you catching a bunch of pike "back east" :)

bradh
01-21-2011, 12:27 AM
I seem to remember you catching a bunch of pike "back east" :)

I think Northeast Nebraska doesn't count :xGoofey:

Harold
01-21-2011, 01:56 AM
Thank you, Brad, for covering for me. Clearly on the NORTHERN BORDER where the water is CLEAR, not the EASTERN SHORE that includes the likes of Carter Lake... Ha

Harold F.

cougarw
01-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Thank you, Brad, for covering for me. Clearly on the NORTHERN BORDER where the water is CLEAR, not the EASTERN SHORE that includes the likes of Carter Lake... Ha

Harold F.

It's still east............ To prove you wrong, I went out to the "middle" east today and caught some of these today.

http://www.nefga.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23188&d=1295660658 (http://www.nefga.org/forum/album.php?albumid=23&attachmentid=7475)

Done
01-21-2011, 08:55 PM
WOW! That thing looks huge.

bradh
01-21-2011, 10:09 PM
It's still east............ To prove you wrong, I went out to the "middle" east today and caught some of these today.

http://www.nefga.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23188&d=1295660658 (http://www.nefga.org/forum/album.php?albumid=23&attachmentid=7475)

It's funny how when you look in the fishing guide under "Northeast Nebraska" there are indeed perch stocked there and or fishable perch populations. For the record there is no "East", just northeast and southeast.

holdemplyer
01-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Good golly Coug, that's one heck of a nice fish!

Uplandhuntr
01-21-2011, 11:07 PM

Nice fish.....that's what I'm talking about....

I have to ask, but you don't have to answer....public or private?

snowgoose100
01-22-2011, 01:12 AM
YUMM.. 9 inches? Man Id love to have some of those right now.

cougarw
01-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Upland.. private pond.

Snowgoose... just over 12"

Have got some over 13" out of there before, but not this time.

Uplandhuntr
01-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Upland.. private pond.

Snowgoose... just over 12"

Have got some over 13" out of there before, but not this time.

I assumed so, but you know what they say about that. There are some fantastic fisheries on private land in eastern NE (north and south eastern...:eusa_clap:).

But I digress....thanks for sharing....there are a few waters here that CAN do it!!:eusa_angel: Proof positive.