PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Carp

Fish Recycler
04-20-2007, 12:02 AM
I've heard that the toughest thing about smoking carp is keeping them lit.

I've also heard that the best recipe is to nail them to a cedar board, smoke them, then throw away the fish and eat the board.

But in seriousness, I know some speak highly of smoking them.

My questions are:

- If you smoke them, does it then make the meat flake off the bones and that's what makes smoking them a good way to eat them?

Or,

- After smoking, do the bones become edible?

Who's tried it, how did you do it, and how was the finished product?

I had a mishap where I tried to make fish tacos using carp, and I literally had to throw away that whole trainwreck. I'd just as soon not repeat that incident. I once ate at a "very authentic" asian restaurant in California, where I inadvertently put something's brains in my mouth. This carp incident was a close second to that putrocity.

My loving lovely wife and I had the kayaks out on a marsh tonight, and the number of carp was staggering. I got one to eat a fly but had a botched hookset that resulted in one massive explosion of carp in 6" of water and a fly shooting back at my face.

My suspicion is that I'm a can of corn and a spinning rod away from a fiesta of smoked carp, with your wisdom and a little effort on my part...

fishhunter44
04-20-2007, 06:41 AM
I've also heard that the best recipe is to nail them to a cedar board, smoke them, then throw away the fish and eat the board.

:aayeahthat:

That is one disgusting fish. I do hate carp.

spade
04-20-2007, 06:58 AM
I never smoked carb but sure ate a lot of it.Nice pink meat taste almost as good as ham.A buddy of mine use to run a bar in so. omaha an got them from s,dakota:Beer:

sqwidbrain
04-20-2007, 08:04 AM
My buddy used to smoke them with hickory chips. They were pretty good. The meat was flakey and came off the bones easily. Had kind of a hammy taste. I doubt anything would make the bones edible.

waleygator
04-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Growing up in SW Iowa we used to eat a lot of carp. Mom would pressure cook it, ended up similar to salmon patties. The smaller bones would turn to "mush" and could be eaten, but larger ones would pull out of the meat easily.

fishunt
04-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Smoked carp is just as good as smoked salmon IF you don't have any smoked salmon!! Honestly it is very good if done right.

Bad Boy
04-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Hey gator, I can relate. Made a trip to Alaska and brought back 250lbs of salmon. What do you do with that much fish. Can them of course. I bought a jumbo pressure cooker and about 50 wide mouth pint jars and learned how to can fish. 90 minutes at 15 lbs pressure, pack jars full of fish chunks, a teaspoon of salt, and your in business. We had canned salmon for three or four years, and it was all great.

Now for the carp. I was going to spend a week in North Dakota fishing for salmon on lake sak. To keep fish we caught (this was back in my cooler days), we would can them on the coleman stove. We had some salmon, some pike, a few eyes, but the thing that was easy to catch were the carp. This was a blast. Smelt were coming through the turbines, and the carp (jumbos) were chowing down. A number nine count down on a salmon rod with 20# mono, we were horsing 15 to 20 carp over the side of the boat. Since we were going to can that evening, we kept a couple of carp. A rough fillet job, with quarter sized scales flying, and we have enough for a half a dozen pints. When we got back to Nebraska and diveyed up take, the carp was the prize. Similiar to Albacore Tuna packed in water, very mild, and no bones. The pike and eyes were mushy, but the carp stole the day.

For what it's worth, another page in the diary of a retired guy.

Good fishing.

GenericAngler
04-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Well -- on my trip to Utah earlier this month, carp meat seemed to be a popular bait for Catfish amongst the locals (and it did seem to stay on the hook pretty good) -- They also have an un-official state law that a d-gilling surgery (gillectomy) must be performed on all carp you come across.....
I tried to C&R the first one I caught while I was there and I got the 3rd degree for not performing the surgery :vWicked:

Bad Boy
04-20-2007, 09:28 AM
That is strange. Couldn't you just thump them? And why release a dead fish? I used to bow hunt in Willard Bay. Tons of carp, but with an arrow, most didn't swim off, gillectomy or not. That is strange.

waleygator
04-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Bad Boy...you're right, those carp below Garrison Dam are HUGE, and very plentiful. Fished them all the time from 88-96 while living in Minot. Only made a couple trips for the salmon, but had a blast each time. Hoping to go back soon...

GenericAngler
04-20-2007, 01:09 PM
That is strange. Couldn't you just thump them? And why release a dead fish? I used to bow hunt in Willard Bay. Tons of carp, but with an arrow, most didn't swim off, gillectomy or not. That is strange.

Most of the ones I saw were not being released after the gillectomy -- they were being cut up for bait. When I was a kid we used to "club carp" for sport -- but that was before I was old enough to own a bow. I am sure the bow would have been fun.

catcatcher311
04-20-2007, 01:33 PM
I agree with fishhunt my friends dad smokes carp and it is just as good as salmon if done right.

Fish Recycler
04-20-2007, 02:14 PM
I agree with fishhunt my friends dad smokes carp and it is just as good as salmon if done right.

It's that "done right" part I'm trying to figure out!