PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Report Grove lake rant!!!!!!!!!!!

WiperD25
05-30-2010, 01:27 PM
First of all I just want to wish everyone a happy memorial day weekend. Well mine was Sh!t, Over the past 10 yrs my Dad & I enjoy going up to Grove lake to mainly do some pike fishing.. But I will also get into some Bass Action as well. What i seen over the past 3 days is a straight embarrassment.. First of all that Game Thief Phone Line is an absolute joke.. Tried calling it and just message machine after message machine.. Never saw a game warden out there at all.. I almost wanted to take the law in my own hands.. Undersized pike and bass being taken right in front of my eyes.. 3-4 pike under 30 inches and like 5 LGM bass um all under 13 inches including 2 bass that i don't even know if they would have went 9 inches just sickening.. They would catch the fish and immediatley throw them on the stringer. So i went and talked to them and told them what they were doing was illegal they didn't care.. I told them the Game Warden would write a ticket. They then just took all the fish i quickly cleaned them all.. And started catching more.. The kicker is the people actually caught like a 13 1/2 Smallmouth which is very rare in Grove and needs to be 15inches it went right on the stringer.. They then were telling me that they come up there a couple times a year and will keep every pike they catch 30 inches or not.. If you look at Grove known for its BIG PIKE there is no way this lake will last with actions like that. You figure grove at best is only 50 acres and if you keep 6-12 pike any sizes a couple times a year your going to rape that place out. I'am begging the G&P to do something!!! Impliment a 26-34 inch protected slots. Get them Wardens out there on the Weekends please. I do know that Grove was a favorite place of mine and i will never step foot there again. Its ruined. Just a rant!!! I again hope everyone enjoys there Memorial Day Weekend, And hope great memory's were made!!

whisker
05-30-2010, 01:31 PM
The area game wardens number is in the book. If you have no book, the bait shop is a mile away. They will assist in calling the authorities.

Done
05-30-2010, 02:54 PM
There is also the local sheriff's office and the Nebraska State Patrol. On the big holiday weekends they sometimes take game wardens and move them to the heavily used areas, like Fremont Lakes. There is 1 C.O. that lives in Fremont, but on big holiday weekends there will be 1 - 3 additional C.O.'s here. I am sure that happens with other busy places like Mahoney, Lac Mac or Willow Creek. The local C.O. may not have been working that area this weekend.

Harold
05-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Of course, one should avoid a possible physical "conflict", but I can tell you that my cell phone camera :picture: would have been in use under that scenerio!

And, maybe visiting with other fishers about your ignored findings may have convinced the poacher to release his catch.

Hell, I might have PAID him to let that SMB go.... :eusa_think:;)

Harold F.

Yes, the old saying "shoot first, ask questions later" WOULD apply! Uh, please use your :picture: trigger!

Kidney
05-30-2010, 04:44 PM
You know what to do...

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/BD9ADA1B-0F5D-473B-A825-10CF0328AB77/0/SniperRifle1.JPG

fotoman
05-30-2010, 04:50 PM
:vWicked:

My way would be to tape some evidence with the phone camera , then report to law enforcement later.

Catfishsteve
05-30-2010, 04:52 PM
I know Grove is a pretty remote place and yes, usually on a busy weekend you'd expect the CO's to be at more heavily used areas.

That said, I've had good luck leaving messages on the Game Thief line. You didn't say whether you left a message or not. I've gotten a call back within 15 minutes a couple of times.

I like to call the county sheriff office in cases like this. T?here are only so many CO's around anyway. I call the sheriff most times and I've got the non-emergency number for the sheriff in every county in my cell phone. The sheriff's office always knows where the CO is and if he's handy, they get it to him and he'll come. If he's not available, they will send a deputy.

Yes, taking pictures works wonders, especially if you make it plain you are also taking pictures of their vehicles and license plates.

Fishing license sales are up, things rough for some folks. My own grandfather was a pure subsistence fisherman. He and Gram depended on his catch of a couple meals a week. I never saw him throw back a legal fish in his life.

Did you ever wonder what would happen in this state if everyone called in every violation they saw?

First off, on a busy weekend like this, my guess is that the number of fish/game/park calls would equal the number of traffic/rescue and other calls that the state police and sheriffs office take.
Can you imagine what would happen if every weekend of the year, their phones were ringing off the hook about undersized fish being kept?

Well, first off, it would send clear message that we expect of fish and game laws to be enforced and our resources to be protected and secondly, I would guess after about a month of this, somebody would be on the phone to the governor's office demanding that we get some more dang CO's around here because all the county deputy sheriff are sick of writing "fish tickets" all day every weekend.

Sorry to hear about your experience at Grove and I know it's a drag to have to pick up the phone, take away from your own fishing time. I've even had to pack up and drive to find cell service a time or two over the years. What a pain in the butt.

But that's the only way this kind of thing is going to get stopped. You gotta call, you gotta keep calling until you get a live body on the line and then it helps to stick around as sometimes you can be of assistance to the CO or sheriff once they get there.

More than once, I've been on the line in the wee hours of the morning with someone helping direct the CO to the right car in the parking lot or to the correct lantern on the shore.

Now imagine trying to be a someone who likes to keep illegal fish with the force of NEFGA members out there (that really can't be readily identified from any other Tom, Dick or Virgil around) and having to wonder all the time if that guy down the bank or that gal in the car that just drove by or maybe that fat guy in the ugly flower print shorts out in the float tube just saw what he's up to and cell-phoned the authorities ?

The word would get around, believe me and this kind of crud would be greatly reduced.

We all see it, all the time. Heck, if I would have looked close enough last night, I bet I would have seen it. I know I'm gonna see it where I'm gonna go this afternoon yet.

There aren't enough CO's folks, we can't blame them for this. They write-up every last person they see and catch, don't you suppose?
There aren't enough state patrol or county deputies out there either... sad to say... and the fish, game and parks is probably not their priority, dontcha' think?

BUT there are enough of us... I know just from the number of threads like this that start cropping up this time of the year, EVERY YEAR.
... and don't give me all that crud about it being folks out there breaking the law because they don't know or they don't speak the language.

I worked at part-time Walmart for nearly 10 years and day and and day out the folks we had more trouble from than anyone else, no many how you wanted to slice it up... they looked and sounded just lke me.

So maybe that's what we need to do too... Take a good look at who is right around us.... probably doing a lot of the same things at times while we're worrying about some folks who yeah, some of them might not know better, but I'm pretty certain they'll learn pretty quick and really not want to be visited by the authorities more than once.

C'mon gang, the only folks out there that's there's enough of to change this is us and the folks we fish with... and having met a lot of you, I'm sure you hang with a lot of folks who just love to mess up other folks sunny day at the lake... :ayes:... so let's stop talkin' about it and let's fix it, starting today.

I'm calling my shot... before this weekend is out, I'm turning in the first poacher I see and I'm going make sure they get what's comin', even if it wrecks my whole afternoon.

M&M
05-30-2010, 06:40 PM
I feel I must reply to this thread since I was given this information by someone in the know. This weekend, from the Platte River to the Missouri River, from O'Neill to Sioux City, there were only four COs and one supervisor for the G&P available. I also understand there was a drowning on the Missouri River they had to respond to. The CO numbers are waaaaay down. G&P has not hired any COs for years. There have been a bunch of retirements and a couple of young officers passed away this last year. If it bothers you, you must speak up. Call your commissioners or the director.

MA Machine
05-31-2010, 04:27 AM
This seems to be the model that the Game Commission is after. Either start raising hell with the Area supervisors and or Game Commission or get used to it! It would be a good idea to have the state patrol contact number, SO contact number, Lastly CO contact number for any area you plan on fishing in. You will need all three numbers to get anyone to possibly respond. There's a reason that game violations are so widespread. There is not much if any enforcement. Sadly, most people usually only comply with the law if they think they will be caught and punished. Thank the Game Commission for making everyone feel at "ease" while visiting our state parks.

Done
05-31-2010, 04:58 AM
Case in point, I had my license checked yesterday at Fremont by Ofc. Oberg from Columbus.

WiperD25
05-31-2010, 08:28 AM
The area game wardens number is in the book. If you have no book, the bait shop is a mile away. They will assist in calling the authorities.

Um yeah i know Randy at the Grove Bait Shop!! We were trying to get ahold of the warden

whisker
05-31-2010, 09:29 AM
It sucks that they were blatant about getting away with that kind of crap. I know that lake well, and it deserves better respect than some gene pool rejects give it!
We are without a CO in one county out this way. Should I run across that nonsense at one of my area lakes,...I'll probably have "engine trouble" in the middle of the boat ramp "until help arrives".

barrywalker
06-01-2010, 11:19 AM
A little off topic here, but is Grove Lake fishable from the shore and is it suitable for camping. My wife is obsessed with catching a northern and I'm looking for a place for her to get her fix without having to drive all the way up to the refuge.

thedarkarcher
06-01-2010, 11:54 AM
A little off topic here, but is Grove Lake fishable from the shore and is it suitable for camping. My wife is obsessed with catching a northern and I'm looking for a place for her to get her fix without having to drive all the way up to the refuge.

not really, only a few spots. i'd suggest heading to cottonmill in kearney for just catching a pike or the missourri river.

WiperD25
06-01-2010, 12:54 PM
http://www.nefga.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7517&d=1242772164 (http://www.nefga.org/forum/album.php?albumid=631&attachmentid=7513)

Here is a 35 1/2 inch pike from last year weighed right at 11lbs on the digital. From the dock

barrywalker
06-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Man that is a nice one!

WiperD25
06-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Man that is a nice one!

Yep it fought amazingly!! Now it is probably pickled is some jar!!

thedarkarcher
06-01-2010, 02:29 PM
hehe....

burrodebo
06-01-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm with Catfishsteve. What he says makes a lot of sense. Starting today, I'm making a call every time I seea violation.

Steve's right. If everyone in this forum did that we'd cause a complete mess -- in the best way!

bradh
06-01-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm with Catfishsteve. What he says makes a lot of sense. Starting today, I'm making a call every time I seea violation.

Steve's right. If everyone in this forum did that we'd cause a complete mess -- in the best way!

Right on! Grove is one of my favorite lakes and this just hacks me off!

Glens
06-01-2010, 10:13 PM
A 16p nail placed at a 60 degree angle under a tire works well, did I just say that?

WiperD25
06-02-2010, 08:25 AM
http://www.nefga.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2744&d=1227213940 (http://www.nefga.org/forum/album.php?albumid=370&attachmentid=2743) This was one of the very biggest ones we have caught 40 1/2 inches.. Released 5 yrs ago Memorial Day Weekend

WaterPig
06-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Ok you got me curious, where is Grove Lake? :eusa_drool: Just from this thread your probably going to have 100 extra people out there this weekend.

Alex T.
06-02-2010, 12:24 PM
So how many wardens had the holiday weekend off? With the budget crisis that they have,wouldn't working a holiday be paying extra for them to be out?

Alex