PDA

View Full Version : Catfishing at night - fishing alarms? yes? no?

fishsplash
09-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Do any of you use those fish alarms that beep or LED indicators that sense line movement? What about bell ringers or glow in the dark rods? Or the lightsticks you can put on the tip of your rods? I have a camping trip this weekend and want to do some SERIOUS all night fishing but at the same time would like to enjoy the company of my family, so an alarm of some type would be nice. Thanks in advance.

fishsplash
09-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Do any of you use those fish alarms that beep or LED indicators that sense line movement? What about bell ringers or glow in the dark rods? Or the lightsticks you can put on the tip of your rods? I have a camping trip this weekend and want to do some SERIOUS all night fishing but at the same time would like to enjoy the company of my family, so an alarm of some type would be nice. Thanks in advance.

RedefiningFate
09-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Mainly use the clickers unless I am further away or tired then I put on the bells.

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZz is a good sound to hear.

J.T.

RedefiningFate
09-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Mainly use the clickers unless I am further away or tired then I put on the bells.

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZz is a good sound to hear.

J.T.

Catfishsteve
09-11-2006, 02:19 PM
The lightsticks work great, they are cheap. They also have bells which are not too expensive. I wouldn't bother with an alarm/LED system. I have other things to spend my money on. I use lightsticks at night and clicker reels for audible alarms, but you can't move too far away from those and still hear them. (At least not with hearing like mine!) :p

fishsplash
09-11-2006, 02:20 PM
can you point me to some info on the clicker alarms pls i dont think i've even seen them

RedefiningFate
09-11-2006, 02:26 PM
can you point me to some info on the clicker alarms pls i dont think i've even seen them

Typically clickers are imbedded on the reel itself. For instance my ABU 6500 had a clicker/bait alert that you slide up and put the reel into free spool...that way when using circle hooks the fish can take the line which will engage the clicker then all I have to do is engage the gears by hitting the reel handle a little and there we have it, fish caught...for the most part.

J.T.

OutdoorProf
09-11-2006, 02:27 PM
By clicker...I believe Steve is referring to the bait clicker found on Abu Garcia bait casters and a select few other bait casting reels. There is a little switch (on the left side of a bait caster w/ right handed reeling...the opposite for left handed reeling). When left in free spool and a cat takes your bait, the reel makes a very audible clicking or sometimes screaming noise (god I love that noise :zclap: ).

In addition to the clicker, if I'm fishing from shore, I generally also use a bell/light stick combo that can be found in just about any tackle shop including walmart, target, etc. Here's a link to them...they're very good and inexpensive...I highly recommend for shore fishing (http://www.rod-n-bobbs.com/index.php?page=prodView&pid=43).

Deas

fishsplash
09-11-2006, 02:28 PM
LOL, i thought you were talking about something totally different. my bad. :zhuh:

Catfishsteve
09-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Right, what J.T. 'sez. Lots of reel makers have models of reels with a "line out alarm" or clicker like the popular Abu Garcia 6500, Penn and others. Those are all baitcasters, but they make spinning reels with the same thing too.

RedefiningFate
09-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Holy Cow Steve, that font color is killin me...LoL...I have light blue on greyish blue backgound...my heads a spinnin right now.

J.T. :zimnum1:

Catfishin 4 Life
09-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Clicker with glow stick on the tip of rods works well for me

Fish Recycler
09-11-2006, 02:49 PM
For the first time this year, I bought a pair of those little cow bells.

To me, there is great comedy involved with using them.

burrodebo
09-11-2006, 02:50 PM
If you don't have a clicker just use the bells and the glow sticks.

OldBaldGuy
09-11-2006, 03:27 PM

Just exactly where, FR, do they fit on your fly rod? :p

Fish Recycler
09-11-2006, 03:53 PM

Just exactly where, FR, do they fit on your fly rod? :p

That's probably where the comedy lies. I have had some fun picking up the spinning rod again to target fish in rivers at night. There's just something exciting about that deep thump-thump or the long, slow pull on the end of the rod that quickens the pulse. And in an effort to truly re-assimilate to the midwest, I thought a bell on a cue stick of a rod would help the process. I don't know if it did, but I laugh every time I hear that thing jingle, over the rushing of the water.

NOW...off to nobler pursuits. Throwing the float tube into the back of the truck and stringing up my 6 wt with what is liable to be the greatest fly of all time, fresh off the vice last night!

Sam825
09-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Bell is okay as long as when someone take it off the rod while reeling in fish. Try to be as quiet as possible and sometime I hate to see a guy ringing bell while reel in a fish so that everybody else on lake knows he caught fish:badgrin: :lol:

Ty S
09-11-2006, 05:47 PM
I use the ol clickers. Nothing like that burning scream of the clicker to wake you up.

Big Poppa K
09-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Get the bells without the lightstick attached at walmart. There are two sets of bells for 2.08 or something close to that. If you catch a fish you will know with the bells.

OutdoorProf
09-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Bell is okay as long as when someone take it off the rod while reeling in fish. Try to be as quiet as possible and sometime I hate to see a guy ringing bell while reel in a fish so that everybody else on lake knows he caught fish:badgrin: :lol:

James...did you read this post...Once James' bells go on his rods...they don't come off...Oy :crazy: :lol:

Deas

CatfishBoy
09-11-2006, 07:08 PM
I just use bells... they work pretty good. :zclap:

Sam825
09-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Agree with Ty:o

Once get used to the sound of clicker.....nothing beat that!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!! !!

Once I forgot to set a clicker on and found all line on my reel has been emptied out by a flathead, the fish was across the lake:lol: and took me a while to reel in....

Sam:badgrin:

Chasing Big Blue
09-11-2006, 07:28 PM
I have thrown my fair share of bells when hooking the fish. i cant tell you the amount of vulgarity that comes out of my mouth when fishing with bells so i stopped and went to the good old fashioned flashlight. bought one with an adjustable base ($3.50 at walmart) position it to shine on the ends of my fishing poles and i can watch both my line and rod tip. i like this when they are biting really slow ( i think they come up to the bait and suck it into there mouth and just sit there savoring the flavor) and wham i set the hook in there chops

Storm
09-12-2006, 12:25 PM
The least amount of light the better as well as the least amount of noise and this can easily be proven when you take a buddy to the River , for example if your each using a couple poles a piece , have one set down the back away from where you are both setting and just watch which pole get hits first ;) ...

I despise bells merely because a thin stick bobber placed near the end of your pole can easily be seen for starters and when that pole gets hit , it's one hell of a lot easier to locate those thin stick bobbers , yet I'll go even further and say that's a big reason why I choose the one piece solid Sturdy Stik rods that are all white , they are very strong and can be seen easily in the dark ...