PDA

View Full Version : Question Setlines

bhuffman
05-26-2009, 12:02 PM
1. Is it ok to use setlines below the dam at Gavins point?
2. Is it ok to use setlines on a canal?

The River Rat
05-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Setlines are a tricky subject bud. You are allowed to use setlines on any river or stream in Nebraska unless otherwise posted. I do not no about canals, but I assume it's fine as it would be considered part of the river. I know that they're illegal in lakes and resivours.
One of the reason's the laws are tricky on setlines is because they want you to do things that few people I know would consider, but I'll tell you what I know about setline laws in Nebraska.
a) Each angler is limited to 5 lines w/ no more than 5 hooks per line, which obviously makes trotlines illegal.
b) Setlines must not be attached to any public structure (docks, ramps, barges, ect.)
c) You are required to attatch a tag w/ your name, phone #, and address to each line in a clearly visible place above the water line.

I run lines all the time on the missouri and i find some of these laws rediculous. First off, there's some compitition where I fish and because of that I always bury my lines below the water level, so that I am the only one aware of their location. Also, one of my biggest peves is when people set limb lines and then leave them in, if the water drops by a foot or two, those hooks end up right about at eye level, just waiting to ruin someones day, or more probably night when you can't see them:SM_SS_paddle:. As far as the identification tags, they wouldn't last one day in the river and I've use the lines I have for years. Not to mention that everyone has their own style of setting lines. I can run my stretch of river and tell you the person's name and address just by how the line looks, and if a warden is familiar w/ his area, he'll be able to do the same. I have no quams w/ trotlines as long as they're set deep enough not to get wrapped up in my prop.
I guess the best advice I can give you is to use common sence. It seems to be running thin now adays, but if you use it, most people wont care if you run lines, including wardens.
Lastly, I have two suggestions for you.
1) If you're burying your lines like I do, but you're not as familiar w/ your stretch of river, buy some caution tape or something similar and tie it to a branch 10' down stream from your line, to most people it just looks like a piece of trash. But you'll know where your line is and if any one else recognizes it they can have fun looking for it where it aint!
2) shallow water is a hotspot for cats at night, but look for flats at least 5' off the bank, not because the fish aren't right by the bank, but because coons have a habit of robbing you blind!
Good luck, and if you want to talk about methods for settin' lines, hit me up.:rock:

Luv2Decoy
05-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Pretty sure that as a NE resident you cannot set them on the SD side.

fishman34
05-27-2009, 11:33 PM
1. Is it ok to use setlines below the dam at Gavins point?
2. Is it ok to use setlines on a canal?

HOOK AND LINE LIMIT
Ponds, lakes or reservoirs - Anglers
are limited to no more than two lines with
a maximum of two hooks on each line
with these being any type of attached line
(rod and reel or fishing pole) on all lakes,
ponds or reservoirs or in their inlets,
outlets and canals within one-half mile of
these water bodies with the exception of
ice-fishing line limits. This includes Lewis
and Clark Lake from Gavins Point Dam
upstream to the Santee boat ramp in
Knox County, Nebraska.

Rivers or streams - A total of 15
hooks are allowed ranging from 15 lines
with a single hook attached or three
lines with a maximum total of five hooks
attached. These can be rod and reels,
poles, bank lines or set lines which are
in some way attached to the bank and
not free-floating. Float lines are not legal
in Nebraska. Float lines are defined as
any line not attached to the shoreline or
pole. All bank lines and set lines must
contain identification to include name,
address and fishing permit number or
current driverís license number.
Note - Upon completion of fishing, all
bank lines and set lines must be removed.

thats what i came up with

uglymike
05-28-2009, 05:20 AM
I use metal tags you can get at Wally world. They're in the pet section, a vending machine that has several different types for pet collars. Name, address, drivers license # and you're set. They're metal and last many seasons.

bhuffman
05-28-2009, 08:25 AM
I have made metal tags already for my lines I am pretty sure I am in the ok now with what I want to do! Just needed some reassurance. I was told by our warden that Iowa and South Dakota have an agreement with nebraska and it is ok to fish on the other side from the shore and included setlines. Thanks again for everyones help. I have read the 09 Fishing guides and you are right it is not real clear. I talked to one of our wardens and he said it's ok to place setlines anywhere below the dam, just not upstream (he happened to come in) Thanks

OldBaldGuy
05-28-2009, 09:21 AM
...I'll tell you what I know about setline laws in Nebraska.
a) Each angler is limited to 5 lines w/ no more than 5 hooks per line, which obviously makes trotlines illegal.

but:

"Rivers or streams - A total of 15
hooks are allowed ranging from 15 lines
with a single hook attached or three
lines with a maximum total of five hooks
attached.

River Rat, your post could be interpreted as allowing up to 25 hooks (five lines at five hooks per line), which clearly is not allowed under the regs. And there's no "5 line" maximum. I think you need to re-read the Fishing Guide before you get yourself and others into trouble.

The River Rat
05-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Yeah I checked the fishing guide and your're right.:SM_SS_buttkick: I started running lines sometime around '95 and I'm pretty sure you could have 5/5 back then, but I guess they've lowered it. That being said I use 5/3 any ways as it makes it easier to catch enough bait and I don't think it brings your catch rate down any.

OldBaldGuy
05-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah I checked the fishing guide and your're right.:SM_SS_buttkick: I started running lines sometime around '95 and I'm pretty sure you could have 5/5 back then, but I guess they've lowered it. That being said I use 5/3 any ways as it makes it easier to catch enough bait and I don't think it brings your catch rate down any.Daryl replies:
I went back all the way to 1962; it has always been a total of 15 hooks allowed on flowing waters, 15 lines with a single hook or 3 lines with a maximum of 5 hooks.

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebaska Game & Parks Commission
daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov (daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov)
http://barbsandbacklashes.wordpress.com/ (http://barbsandbacklashes.wordpress.com/)

playin4funami
05-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Isn't there also a certain distance you have to be from the dam,spillway,etc.?